The Reintegration through Sport PLUS (RTS+) project goal is to highlight and support the relationship between sports participation and positive life skill development of former drug users, supporting their social reintegration, aiming to improve the efficiency of treatment services. From this perspective, knowledge about factors related to the role of sport in the addictions treatment can contribute to the success of sports programs for this particular population.
In this context, the RTS+ project aims to enrich and harmonize the way in which sports programs are utilized during the treatment process by the therapeutic organizations.
The design of the Reintegration Through Sport Plus project will be developed in the following areas:
- To create and continuously strengthen a network, linking therapeutic centers, NGOs, institutions, sport (inter) national organizations and private people working to promote the benefits of sport and physical activities and their use in developing life skills for the addictions treatment.
- To identify the needs, challenges, barriers, and difficulties of addicted people to participate in sports.
- To contribute to the Harmonization of Sport and physical activity patterns in drug abuse treatment.
- To advocate, or influencing through Developing Policy recommendations/guidelines on prevention, addiction therapy, and social reintegration through sport.To raise the awareness of all the relative stakeholders (therapeutic agencies, health professionals addiction workers, sport educators etc.), through capacity building and training, regarding the use of experiential learning in order to facilitate the positives benefits of sports participation of people in addiction therapy.
- To design, create and promote a new innovative training tool and a web-based platform in order to strengthen the capacity building of health professionals, addiction experts, sports educators, addiction drug treatment organizations and agencies to design, implement and monitor sport-based interventions aiming to the life skills development of the people in drug addiction therapy.
Evaluation through Social Return On Investment methodology (SROI) in order to analyze, monitoring and managing the intended and unintended social consequences, both positive and negative, of planned interventions (policies, programs, platforms etc.) as well as any social change processes invoked by those interventions